Insuring Property Away from you Premises

June 20, 2017

Did you know that property stored somewhere other than at your office premises may not be covered by your property insurance policy? Be sure to keep your insurance broker advised if you move property. There are other situations which should also trigger a call to insurance provider:

  • Warehousing, even t


    uable property

  • Demo equipment at a client’s site (and you still own it)

  • Equipment/property on approval for a lengthy period at a client site

  • Property storage at any employee’s home

  • Lending or rental of equipment

Many insurers offer some nominal amount of “unscheduled location” coverage ($10,000 is customary). Unfortunately, for large theft or water losses from an unknown location, $10,000 may simply not be enough coverage.

Scheduling Equipment

Any high-valued property that consistently moves should be explicitly listed on the policy as “Scheduled Equipment.”  Scheduling equipment will allow you to provide a specific limit to the piece of equipment and coverage is typically provided worldwide.

Additional Tips

  • Keep property inventory lists, especially computer inventory and software licenses, off-site.

  • Be sure all the locations where you have property are listed on your insurance policy.

  • “Schedule” all mobile property for broader territorial coverage.

  • Agree with your insurer about loss valuation as part of your policy terms.











Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Restoration Insurance News: Understanding Your Workers Compensation Experience Mod (Part 2)

July 13, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload